How realistic will this series be?

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Maybe if kids today had fear of concequences, behaviour in schools would,nt be so bad? yes fear of concequences but should those concequences ever have been a formal smacking from ahightly vindictive man as in my sisters case?

nortam

Postby nortam » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:50 pm

How long ago did your sister get hit at school? you talk as tho it was
recent. If not and it was some time ago then it was only a few years ago that corporal punishment was banned. I am pleased that we no longer hit kids in school, however a friend of mine was beaten up by a
yr 11 a few years ago and has never worked since. I think that is equally
bad, yet the boy was suspended for a few weeks, this incident has ruined my friends career, the boy was told off for carving his name in a new desk with a penknife!

what is your comment on this? :(

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:55 pm

It was many years ago; around the mid seventies I suppose...haha showing my age now! I certainly didn't mean to suggest that it was a recent incident.

I actually found it funny at the time as you do when your brother or sister gets in trouble, but looking back at it it did really upset her I think she was quite depressed about it for a long time afterwards.
Even though as I said she behaved herself afterwards, I don't think it is worth putting someone through that kind of upset to achieve that goal. She was a wild child, very cheeky and rebellious etc. but afterwards for quite a while she was very reserved, which I'm not sure was a particularly a good thing.

It seems very wrong now looking back Mr Johnson frightened the life out of the toughest boys in the school he was evil...and enormous, so for Julia (my sister) to be disciplined by him like that, very formally smacked by a man twice her size of her?...its just awful I think!

I do sympathise with your point, your friend should not have been in a position to be beaten up by a pupil. I agree that coproal punishment might have stopped that kind of thing to some extent, but really my sister was harmless that kind of discipline should have been reserved for the worst offenders not just for a teenage girl expressing her self with clothes makeup etc.

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:09 pm

I have the worst cold ever today! :(

The girls at my school wear makup and stuff all the time, I think they wouldnt have dared back then, I think schools should be stricter.
I'm one of two

ho-unit!

Postby ho-unit! » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:29 am

the term freedom of speech comes into mind here...
The Beagle Boysz 2005!

nortam

Postby nortam » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:30 am

And?

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Freedom of speech wasn't really a feature of British school's of the time, however teenage girls always have attempted to get away with adapting their uniforms, shortening skirts, wearing makeup etc. this is due to a desire in girls to appear more grown as girls naturally mature earlier than boys.
These minor infringements should have been tolerated and go unpunished, there are always far worse offences happening within schools grounds for example bullying of other pupils and as Nortam pointed out bullying directed at the staff.

nortam

Postby nortam » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:40 pm

:) what happened to natural beauty I say! when you get to my age you have to put stuff on your face to be seen out every day.

Girls without makeup on the prog looked delightful and natural.

Matron x

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:48 pm

I agree Matron, but try telling that to a teenage girl! (although obviously you have tried lol!)

I Still don't think the offence of wearing short skirts and makeup is worthy of the punishment my sister was got do you?

nortam

Postby nortam » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:38 pm

No I don,t but unfortunatly its the top of a slippery slope, one day its a bit of lip gloss and the next day its full make-up. one day its stud earings and the next day they have pearcings all over The one thing that I love about this programme( both 1 and 2 and hopefully no 3 too) is that you see them at the beginning plastered in makeup and then when it is removed they become children again . I suspect their parenrs are quite shocked in a nice way. On a nicer note.. If any of the children from TTE1 come on the site I showed my boarders TTE1 last night because they hav,nt seen it yet and I loved watching it again if only to remember no matter how hard it was we had some fun ,did'nt we? I could'nt believe how young you all looked. and I thought how wonderful you all were. It really was hard for you guys and you have my respect for sticking it out . Altho. TTE3 were very good and I warmed to them much quicker than the others you guys were so special, too many sherries I feel, so I will get off this sight before I start blubbing! Goodnight all Matron xx :!: :!:

lukemills

Postby lukemills » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:47 pm

oh matron well if it takes booze to make you talk like that, you should drink more often. and allthough i think everybody at one stage acclaimed to hating you, by the end we all really loved you, well i can only speak for the boys.
the respect we held for you after your talks, was unreal. and there was nothing like one of your talks to pick us up. and if it wern't for people like you, dr wilde and miss carter they would have had a lot more people quitting the show.
but i just got a question, do you think they went easier on us this year, and how were we treated in respects to the other?
thank you matron,
luke.

Doc W

wedges

Postby Doc W » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:15 pm

I have to agree with Matron about the 'thin end of the wedge' argument for what would now be called zero tolerance. Most of the TTE3 pupils will tell you that I'm not naturally a harsh person but I do believe in the positive benefits of discipline. Yes, of course the response should be proportionate but at the heart of it should be 'informed compassion'. Rules are good for children. They act as the stabilizers so that children can wobble their way to learning how to live their lives without falling off! In my own school I always insist that students stick to the rules, even those which seem to be less important. I'm sure there are some students hate me for it but I believe most come to realise that it's because I think it's an important part of my job and of their education. There are many children who don't have much experience of structure, formality and discipline in their lives outside school and this leads to their finding it difficult to develop a proper sense of self-discipline (and it's close relative self-esteem.) My colleagues amd I deal every day with the fall-out from this. I saw most (though not all) of the TTE3 children grow and learn in the the course of the 'term'. Almost all learned things about themselves and other, very different, people. The imposition of rules and structure in their lives was a very important part of enabling them to do this. I was expecting to see this kind of thing after watching TTE1 but was surprised at the extent of the change. I can't wait to see the programme to see what they were like in 'real life'. It's a pity that some didn't ever buy-in to the experience but I suppose it would've made boring television if they had.
Doc W

nortam

Postby nortam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:00 pm

Thankyou Mills for your kind words, you know how to lift someones moods...bet your Grannie loves you.

I think all of you got it easier than TTE1 . Don,t forget you had seen the other series and more or less knew what was coming. TTE1 did,nt.
Even so It is,nt easy doing these progs. as you will see when its shown, even I am impatient now! :D

Matron x

oversizedschoolboy

Postby oversizedschoolboy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:16 pm

Well Matron, I can see from your response that you probably have a lot more compassion than staff at my school did, I'm guessing you may have turned a blind eye back then to girls like my sister, knowing what the punishment may be? and perhaps insisting that they clean it of before they get into serious trouble?

somerset sunflower

Postby somerset sunflower » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:30 pm

matron.... i looked radiant without makeup.. it was just the eyebrown thing that i struggled with!! hahaha funny as anything!! i normally get them waxed every 3 wks!! it was awful without tweezers!!
Missin ma That'll Teach 'em family!!

Return to “The Chalkboard”