Vicky Buxton

Forum for discussion of both the That'll Teach 'em series (Kings School and Hope Green ) and the follow up programme That Taught 'em. You can also discuss anything about educational standards of the present day or the past. Fans of the series can interact with the pupils and staff of all series as well.
<a href="http://www.teachem.co.uk/third-series/index.shtml">Visit our That'll Teach 'em fan Site</a>
Linda

Vicky Buxton

Postby Linda » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:43 pm

As someone of the channel4 forum has already pointed out the discipline of the pupils isn't really ever going to be comparable. Before these pupils reached the stage of schooling that they are in the programme they would have already had years of strict school discipline both at primary school and at secondary school long before doing O levels.

Pupils like Vicky Buxton would certainly have learned not to mess about by then because if she had messed about like that back then she would have been sent to the Headmaster and would have probably had her bum smacked for it.

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:03 pm

Hey I'm really sorry but you just go to show that people actually believe the editing we are given.
You have to realise that for each hour long episode we did we did a week's load of work etc.
I am not the rebel-type, I just happened to do some things that today would be normal, which shows the difference in time. I doubt very much I would be seen as cheeky today, and to say we are not clever is a bit harsh- I would say! Yes, under pressure we got stupid definitions wrong, but I still managed to stump the headmaster when I said 'I was showing appreciation'- Did he or did he not stumble over his words?
I'm sorry to rant I just am fed up of people stereotyping people, It's TV- It can be edited to however they want to have it. And why are you complaining, when after all that is what made you watch the programme?

Linda

Postby Linda » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Sorry Head girl reject, I assume you are Vicky Butxon? I certanly didn't mean to critisise you for being cheeky I'm sure your a perfectly nice girl but you are clearly a willfull girl, and that was very much dicoraged at the time.

I was very much like you at primary school, but in my first year of secondary school I made the mistake of talking during the Headmasters assembly. There was really no messing about back then, I was sent out of assembly to wait to wait in the coridoor, when the assembly was over the Headmaster took me to his study, put me across his knee and gave me a good hiding. I certanly wasn't that cheeky again :(
I think that your behavoir in the first episode, back in the 50's would have had a similar outcome.

Mr Stanley

Postby Mr Stanley » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:41 am

Well for what its worth, I thought you were a great sport!

Doc W

contexts

Postby Doc W » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:30 am

I don't think that the first programme was necessarily representative of the whole 'term'. We as a staff were acutely aware that a 'zero tolerance' approach was the only way we were even going to come close to moulding the children into appropriate patterns of behaviour in a short time. As the term went on the children came to respect us because they knew us better. Relations with most of them were much better later on because they knew how to behave more. However, Vicky, it's not quite true that your situation was amplified by the editing. You were in a lot of trouble at first (despite making up an excellent alternative school song in prep :wink: )
Doc W

nortam

Postby nortam » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:58 am

I agree with Dr Wilde, I am sure that the programme will bring the less well behaved to light. And as prog 2 in particular will show bad behaviour was not down to editing!

Matron

Be at leso

Postby Be at leso » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:15 pm

Lets face it Vicky Buxton is a cheeky girl; there was one in every class just as there was a couple of bad lads in every class. There is nothing wrong with it, it makes it more authentic if anything, even with strict discipline you always had one or two naughty girls.

The only difference is that as Linda pointed out, back then a girl like Vicky would have got a good hiding from the Headmaster by now.

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Oh my! Matron, does it show me as bad? This is gettin to a point where I'm being called a rebel and i wasn't! aah :(
There we go! Scott keeps telling me off for stealing his role!
Did you personally dislike me or was that character cased? I thought you were extremely real when you showed dislike to me!! :(
I hope everyone is good! It was great to see you at that'll test em Mr Stanley, you were so lovely giving me a big hug and all!!
I must admit all the teachers played their roles well!! congrats!!
Vikki

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:21 pm

I think that they should have used corporal punishement on the programme and the Headmaster should have given Vicky Buxton a smacked bottom. Not because I dislike her but just to make it authentic to a 50'school.
I'm one of two

head_girl_reject

Postby head_girl_reject » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:51 pm

:O how rude! I wouldn't have liked that lol, trust me, the punishments i got were enough! I'm scared to see what else they show! spesh now matron said that...aaahhh!!! Is evry1 enjoyin it so far? Ho is a cult figure now or sumthin! lol
xx

William Shepherd

Postby William Shepherd » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm not being rude, I know it sounds like I'm being mean but I'm not really, I think your all great for getting on the programme. I just think it should be realistic don't you?

The Headmaster this year certanly isn't as strict as last year.
I'm one of two

second hand Head Girl

Postby second hand Head Girl » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Trust me, the teachers managed to come up with some highly creative punishments that were far more effective than the threat of corporal punishment (ball practice, Matron!). And Vikki is right; each episode is condensing a huge amount of time into only 1 hour. She wasn't a juvenile delinquent!

Be at leso

Postby Be at leso » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:45 pm

[quote="second hand Head Girl"]Trust me, the teachers managed to come up with some highly creative punishments that were far more effective than the threat of corporal punishment

More effective than a spanking???? clearly you've never had one lol!!!

somerset sunflower

Postby somerset sunflower » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:00 pm

fair enuf they have dun editin and made us all out to look diff but we know wat hapnd and like vikki sed 1 hour on tv was about 5/6 days inreal life and other tings hapnd. theyve jus pikd on miniscule bits which will make gud tv!!
Missin ma That'll Teach 'em family!!

slf_peters_scotty

its all a load f sh*t

Postby slf_peters_scotty » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:48 pm

its all stupid they made all the goody goody posh people look like rebels and the people that were actually bad most of the time never even got shown . wher was nathan in the first episode i clearly rember me and him getting in a nuff trouble but they think that what there showing is good tv (if you say so ) but if they wanna edit it like that instead of showing what really happend then its there choice. XX

you lot who were there know what im on bout ? 1

Return to “The Chalkboard”